OFF: Netscapeism.

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Thu Feb 7 19:38:46 EST 2002

> Any site worth its salt should work fine under Opera (having said that, I
need to fix one of mine :-) ).

Rewrite whizzy code for one percent of browsers?  No thanks.

> > > but in general it is fantastic, with a great configurable
> > > front-end.  I've been using it in work and at home for about a month
now
> > and
> > > I won't go back.
> > >

> > Really?  Why not?  Do you really want a browser that *doesn't work*?
>
> You've said this before, but unfortunately, I don't remember your
explanation. If by "doesn't work", you're referring to DOM support, or
proprietary tag support, I don't really give a damn about either one.

CSS support for starters.  It's a lot better than it used to be, but having
had to fix sites so they work reasonably well on Opera, it's still not good.
Don't get me wrong, I love the *idea* of Opera - just the implementation
isn't great.  Yet.  I'm sure it will be.  Prop. tags were what did for
Netscape - not Microsoft's evil business practices.

The day all browsers support the same stuff is the day I'll be happy.  Or,
the day we all use one browser.

However, fat, ugly, bald Java developers will tell you that none of this
matters and they can do your job better than you can.

> It works just fine, thanks (more specifically, it works better for me than
IE 6.0, or Netscape 6.2).

Netscape I believe, I'd be surprised about IE though.  (Are you running a
Windows system?)

Cheers,

R.