OFF: Netscapeism.

Chris Allen beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 8 05:47:07 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Lockwood" <rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK>

> > It will create HTTP headers
> > imitating various Netscape and IE incarnations if a site needs fooled
into
> > working,
>
> Which is fine if a site uses poor browser detection.  Any site worth its
> salt should be able to pick up Opera straight away.

In the month I've been using it I've encountered 1 site that hasn't
functioned on Opera.
And I'm not gonna spend time on a site that hasn't been built to a decent
standard of HMTL, there are many other sites offering the same services that
do work.
GS Resources, for example, doesn't work with IE pre-version 5 (*obsolete
browser* ahem?) but works perfectly with Opera 6.

> > but in general it is fantastic, with a great configurable
> > front-end.  I've been using it in work and at home for about a month now
> and
> > I won't go back.
> >

> Really?  Why not?  Do you really want a browser that *doesn't work*?

Doesn't work?  For that very reason I stopped using IE.  I'm a programmer
specializing in web-apps, so I need a browser that works to the standards,
hence my choice.  Opera 6 is faster than IE handles stylesheets consistently
and has features that I use.   Again, I'm not about to blame the browser
software for the sloppy HTML coding on someone's site or for Microsoft's
inability to adhere to standards, even between their own software range...

C.