OFF: Netscapeism.

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Feb 8 11:34:50 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Richard Lockwood wrote:

=> > Any site worth its salt should work fine under Opera (having said that, I
=> need to fix one of mine :-) ).
=>
=> Rewrite whizzy code for one percent of browsers?  No thanks.

Do you mean "desktop browsers" or all browsers?  Our UIML group here
would argue you have your head in the sand if you consider only the
former, as more and more content is wanting to be accessible via cell
phones, PDAs, and other mobile hardware (with vastly differing
capabilities)...

=> The day all browsers support the same stuff is the day I'll be happy.  Or,
=> the day we all use one browser.

The day that people realise HTML was never designed (or originally
intended) to do what they want it to do (specifically, presentational
markup) is the day we'll all come to accept the general kludginess of
today.  Then we'll accept incompatible browsers as a logical consequence
of a good idea gone bad, instead of something odd. ;-)

Disclaimer: <bones mccoy>I'm a researcher, not a practitioner, damn
it!</bones mccoy>.  I have pity for those like Richard who have to
grapple with this on a daily basis and make things work somehow.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa