OFF: Netscapeism.

Chris Gibbs chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Fri Feb 8 17:02:43 EST 2002

Hi ya,

Richard Lockwood wrote:

> > 6 is out for the PC and it is fantastic.  It will create HTTP headers
> > imitating various Netscape and IE incarnations if a site needs fooled into
> > working,
>
> Which is fine if a site uses poor browser detection.  Any site worth its
> salt should be able to pick up Opera straight away.

So what is good browser detection?  All you can do is request a browser
id.  If the browser sends a different id how can you tell the lie.

Thats the whole point of being able to set it yourself.

Its also so the developer can check the behavior of his/her code on
browsers there is no access to.   Quite often I just detect IE so I can
tell IE users I have no way to support them they better get another
browser.   Or maybe I want to check what the WAP browser specific parts
of my code do.

Chris