OFF: Netscapeism.

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Fri Feb 8 17:51:47 EST 2002

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Richard Lockwood wrote:
>
> => > Any site worth its salt should work fine under Opera (having said
that, I
> => need to fix one of mine :-) ).
> =>
> => Rewrite whizzy code for one percent of browsers?  No thanks.
>
> Do you mean "desktop browsers" or all browsers?  Our UIML group here
> would argue you have your head in the sand if you consider only the
> former, as more and more content is wanting to be accessible via cell
> phones, PDAs, and other mobile hardware (with vastly differing
> capabilities)...

Sorry - yes, of course I meant desktop browsers.  I'l wait until PDAs and
phones are of any use before I start worrying about them!  :-)

> => The day all browsers support the same stuff is the day I'll be happy.
Or,
> => the day we all use one browser.
>
> The day that people realise HTML was never designed (or originally
> intended) to do what they want it to do (specifically, presentational
> markup) is the day we'll all come to accept the general kludginess of
> today.  Then we'll accept incompatible browsers as a logical consequence
> of a good idea gone bad, instead of something odd. ;-)

Quite agree.  We should have stuck with black text, Times New Roman on a
grey background.  Then done everything whizzy in Flash.  :-)

> Disclaimer: <bones mccoy>I'm a researcher, not a practitioner, damn
> it!</bones mccoy>.  I have pity for those like Richard who have to
> grapple with this on a daily basis and make things work somehow.

Awww....  I'm going to go to bed with a nice warm cuddly feeling now.  :-)

Cheers,

Rich.