OFF: Netscapeism.

Richard Lockwood rich at BEERPOWEREDNOISEFRENZY.CO.UK
Fri Feb 8 17:59:06 EST 2002

> Hi ya,
>
> Richard Lockwood wrote:
> >

> > > 6 is out for the PC and it is fantastic.  It will create HTTP headers
> > > imitating various Netscape and IE incarnations if a site needs fooled
into
> > > working,
> >
> > Which is fine if a site uses poor browser detection.  Any site worth its
> > salt should be able to pick up Opera straight away.
> >

> So what is good browser detection?  All you can do is request a browser
> id.  If the browser sends a different id how can you tell the lie.

Opera (Certainly Opera 5 - haven't checked Opera 6 yet - will pass itself
off as IE according to  most browser sniffers.  However, if you check for it
speifically, it can be detected as Opera).

I downloaded Opera 6.01 today, just to see if I'd missed something.  The
pages I checked with it, 90% didn't render as they should.

I rest my case.

Cheers,

R.