OFF: Tungsten 74

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 8 20:31:59 EST 2002

Hey Folks...

Um, strange synchronicity.  Just as I was sending that message about Loop
and Spacemen 3, I put on a new CD I got in the mail today by a NYC outfit
called Tungsten 74.

Had never heard of them before, but after Karen K. had sent along a link to
a cool indie store (along the lines of mp3.com and iuma.com) in Portland, OR
called cdbaby.com, I'd searched through their listings of 'psychedelic'
artists and was intrigued by the nebulous description of this band.  And
their disc was only $8, so I went for that.  And a couple others including
one by Milo Black who I've tried before and liked quite a lot.  But that's
for another post sometime later.

Anyway, this band is fabulous!  Very much like a cross between Circle and
Speaker\Cranker, not that those bands are that dissimilar anyway.  But you
get the drift...guitar-laden loopy psychedelia with an improv feel and a
hypnotic transfixiating effect.

There's a song called 'Strong Koln' (I will leave out the umlaut over the o
in Koln 'cause I'm sure some of your email browsers would mis-interpret it
as a string of gibberish characters), that's just too brilliant for words. I
think the reference to Can is pretty clear, though it's more like Circle's
updated interpretation of krautrock.  'Homecoming' is similarly wonderful.
Unfortunately, I don't think they have either of these tracks up on their
website as mp3s to check out.  But I didn't check their mp3.com/tungsten74
page to see if they had more there.

http://www.tungsten74.com

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  I picked up a used copy of the Mothman Prophecies 2CD soundtrack with
King Black Acid today for a mere $9, so it's been a good day.  Haven't had a
chance to put that one on the player just yet.