OFF: Asteroid #4

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Feb 12 13:06:14 EST 2002

Hi Folks...

Just a quick word to mention this tour.  Asteroid No. 4 are a band from
Philadelphia that I first discovered three years ago or so.  I met up with
them in Detroit and wrote about them in A-I.com a couple times.  Their debut
CD (Introducing the...Asteroid No. 4) was really strong I thought (one track
from that appeared on the recent Space Rock CDR set I sent to some people
here), an interesting mix of modern and retro stylings.  Their second effort
was more purely 60s retro like Elephant 6 stuff, and I was less
enthusiastic.  I thought they'd gone on hiatus for awhile (not sure about
that), but anyway, they're going on tour starting today.  The lineup
(according to asteroidno4.com) is completely different than just a few years
back (only one guy seems to have remained from the original), now a five
piece with one female.  So they might be yet different, though I'm guessing
they're some sort of neo-psychedelia still....but perhaps a more poppish (?)
variety?  Who can say?

Anyway, here are the dates.  BJM is a familiar name (perhaps the headliner
here?) but I've never heard them. Dead Meadow I remember seeing in
Pittsburgh once - they were a real throw-back heavy psych trio, like Blue
Cheer.  Sorta Sabbathy at times too.  Not anything brilliant, but their
heart's in the right place.  I suppose you'd call them 'stoner rock' now,
but they sound more like the original stoners.

Grakkl (FAA)

Asteroid No. 4
Upcoming Tour Dates with Brian Jonestown Massacre and Dead Meadow:

Tue 02/12/02 Westchester , PA Spence Cafe
Thu 02/14/02 Washington, DC Metro Cafe
Fri 02/15/02 Passaic Park, NJ Loop Lounge
Sat 02/16/02 Philadelphia, PA The Khyber
Sun 02/17/02 Hoboken, NJ Maxwell's
Mon 02/18/02 New York, NY Brownies
Wed 02/20/02 Cambridge, MA T.T. The Bear's
Thu 02/21/02 Montreal, QC Casa De Popolo
Fri 02/22/02 Toronto, ON El Mocambo Club
Sat 02/23/02 London, ON Call The Office
Sun 02/24/02 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
Mon 02/25/02 Toledo, OH Mickey Finn's
Tue 02/26/02 Chicago, IL Schuba's
Wed 02/27/02 Minneapolis, MN 400 Bar
Thu 02/28/02 Madison, WI The Rathskeller
Fri 03/01/02 Iowa City, IA Gabe's Oasis
Sat 03/02/02 St. Louis, MO Hi-Pointe