HW: Angels/Magnu on Weird 1

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 15 19:10:32 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:35:58 -0000, Jill Strobridge <jill at THETA-
ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
>Ah - yet another reason (as if there aren't already enough) why the
>Codex needs to be updated! ...

Don't forget that I already wrote up all the info needed to update the
Codex with Weird 101-105.  The message can be found in the boc-l archives:
http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011D&L=BOC-L&P=R247

Regarding the two tracks in question, I wrote:
>Magnu (3.19) [3.12] same as version 2 in the Codex
>Angels of Death (5.16) [1.11] version 1 in the Codex should become
>        version 1a (fades out) This becomes version 1 in the Codex

The timings in (parentheses) are as on Weird 101, the timings in [brackets]
are from The 'Sonic Assassins' EP and its numerous reissues
(Cleopatra's 'Golden Void' collection, to be specific in this case).

I also wrote this regarding the differences, which seems to match what
Chuck's saying about the different versions:
>There's Bob's rant (and a lot more jamming) at the end of
>"Angels of Death", as someone else mentioned. The tracks
>also sound like different mixes than the releases on Flicknife
>etc. - the synth noises are a bit more prevalent in a few places,
>but it's not a significant difference.

... I don't think that these tracks saw any post-performance overdubbing
(but that's just conjecture, albeit informed conjecture, on my part),
unlike, say, "Valium Ten" (the KEYBOARD parts for that song were
recorded "live" in real-time by Steve Swindells, the SYNTH parts were
overdubbed by Brock after-the-fact).  Like Jill suggested, things probably
just came out sounding slightly different when the recordings were
remastered (by the same guy who mastered 'Yule Ritual', about which I had
an insignificant whiney complaint about the mastering job) for CD release.
Compression and EQ can sometimes bring out parts of a track that you
couldn't previously hear, or might change the perceived tonality of some of
the instruments.

But the only important statement in this message is: if you've only heard
the short version of the Sonic Assassins' "Angels of Life"/"Angels of
Death", you NEED to get Weird 101 to hear the full recording!

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com