OFF: Spacemen3

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 15 19:16:09 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 22:15:56 -0500, Stephan Forstner <stemfors at PIPELINE.COM>
wrote:
>> The story of how Loop and Spacemen 3 "relate" is very funny ...
>
>Do tell us please!

The gist of the story, ***according to Pete (Sonic Boom) Kember*** is that
Robert Hanson (Hampton? I forget his last name) of Loop used to go to all
the early Spacemen 3 shows and ask them about what bands he should listen
to.  He basically accuses Loop of being 100% Spacemen 3 ripoff (I think
there's *some* truth to that, but nowhere near 100%!).  Unfortunately, I
haven't had time to dig through my back issues of Forced Exposure to find
the interview by Nigel Cross where Pete mentions this (and I'm out-of-town
this weekend, so I don't know when I'll ever have time).  Great interview
(it's also the one where Sonic talks about how much he hates Hawkwind - I
guess I should try to dig it up for that quote!  On the other hand, the
main reason I first checked out Spacemen 3 was because 'Bucketfull of
Brains' magazine described the beginning of 'Sound of Confusion' as
sounding like the beginning of "Silver Machine".).

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com