OFF: Netscapeism.

Chris Gibbs chris at HAWKLORD.UKLINUX.NET
Tue Jan 1 11:40:03 EST 2002

Hi ya,

DASLUD at aol.com wrote:

> AOL uses IE, which on my machine is the 'default browser'...

You have my greatest sympathy...    IE is about the worst browser I've
ever used.  aoL is also not my choice of ISP (actually AoL is not an IsP
in the strickest sense because they use their own private protocols).

Happily as a linux user I cannot use either IE as a browser or aoL as
IsP.

there are many good browsers.  Netscape is excellent general purpose
browser.
the www3 consotium w3c, who are responsible for defining the html
standards etc. produce two browsers, amaya which is really good for
testing sites and producing html, is a conventional graphical browser.
But w3c's best browser and my personal favorite is a text browser called
w3m.  It is a console program so is really fast at getting pages, unlike
lynx it can handle tables and forms ok, if you want to view a graphic
you can.   I have no idea if a Microsoft version is available, but if
there is one I'd advise everyone to give it a try... you won't find
anything faster!

In linux land there are very many browsers.  Netscape has the advantage
of its multi-media plugin's.  as far as I can tell the only thing you
can't do with Netscape is view quicktime video clips (does anyone know a
way to do that?) or Microsoft media clips (does anyone want to do
that?).

chris
--
There are people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the
truth without lying.