OFF: THE END OF TIME

Steven Tice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 2 15:02:54 EST 2002

In a message dated 01/02/2002 9:44:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kkusic at EXECPC.COM writes:

> "In a profile in The Sunday Times (October, 1998), Steve Farrar
> wrote: "Barbour argues that we live in a universe which has
> neither past nor future. A strange new world in which we are alive
> and dead in the same instant. In this eternal present, our sense of
> the passage of time is nothing more than a giant cosmic illusion.
> 'There is nothing modest about my aspirations,' he said. 'This
> could herald a revolution in the way we perceive the world.'"
> Cosmologist Lee Smolin notes that Barbour has presented "the
> most interesting and provocative new idea about time to be
> proposed in many years. If true, it will change the way we see
> reality. Barbour is one of the few people who is truly both a
> scientist and a philosopher."

Gee, clear back in 1987, when I was still in grad school, I wrote a detailed
essay on the concept of the eternal present, which was a common thematic
element in many works of postmodern fiction from at least the sixties onward.
 Funny to hear it described as a new idea...

Steven Tice
Calliope Comics
519 Valentine Hill Road
Bellefonte, PA 16823