OFF: 2001's Top 100

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jan 3 17:35:01 EST 2002

Hi Folks...

Well, the end-of-year lists are out, and I was right!  I did actually
purchase one CD from this year's Top 100 (unlike last year, when I struck
out), according to Billbored, which I'm sure is Ameri-centric, but don't
imagine that I could have had significantly more in any UK or Euro list.

Well, I thought maybe I'd see Spiritualized appear, but nope.  Maybe they'd
have made a UK list?  Sigur Ros is probably the third most (currently)
popular group I've purchased.  After that, not even sure.

Anyway, the one I got (of course) was Tool - Lateralus, which finished 47 in
the final tally.  Seems so weird that this one album made such a big hit all
by itself.  I guess it must be that it somehow received great
behind-the-scenes promotion.  But why would the label have even tried with
this band, given the complete lack of any other similar type of music
selling anything in the general pop market these days?

So here's the link to the list....it's a top 200 list, but for some reason
you can only view the top 100.  Don't ask me why.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/yearend/2001/bb2002.jsp

Grakkl (FAA)

P.S.  The one obvious thing that came to me when perusing this list...if you
wanna make it these days, your band name has to contain exactly no
properly-spelled English words, and preferably no "words" whatsoever.  Which
I guess means that the time is right for me to launch a band with the name I
always thought would be the coolest...Spagh Pomoy.  Never was sure where to
put the umlauts though.  Over the 'a' would ruin the correct pronunciation
(spog).  Alright, I know the rest of you invented bandnames while in High
School study hall too...let's hear 'em.  (Note:  The Ozric Tentacles were
named in this manner, although it was really breakfast cereal names they
were inventing.)  Waszin Chizzi was one of the others I remember inventing.
To date, no band has actually taken any of my names by random chance, but
now I better register them given the current trend.  :)