OFF: 2001's Top 100

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Tue Jan 8 00:32:54 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 04:37:15PM -0500, K Henderson wrote:

> >Maybe you don't realize just how popular and successful Tool are.
>
> No, I do realize that they're hugely popular - they played at Ohio State's
> enormous basketball arena which seats somewhere around 18,000.  I just don't
> understand WHY?  I mean, obviously (the majority of) their fans are those
> who normally listen to FM radio 'alternative' (i.e., shit), and so Tool is
> the only 'progressive' band they even know.  And furthermore, these 'fans'
> have absolutely no interest in seeking out other similar-style bands.  Why?

Well, Maynard Keenan's other band, _Perfect Circle_ actually
sold a lot of records, too.  :)

As to *why* people like Tool when other prog metal bands aren't
doing that well... hell, I dunno.  I suspect they mistake it for
Nu Metal, which is selling like hotcakes.  It's got that same
dark angsty sound to it, right?  ...Right?  :)

> 'Cause then there would be sixteen other copycat bands popular as hell also!
> That's usually the way the system works in American pop culture (hence 56
> movies made that try to do what that 'There's Something About Mary'
> did...and the whole Seattle grundge thing started by one album).  So why
> hasn't it happened with Tool-style progressive? I'm baffled.

Well, I agree it's a mystery, but sometimes that just
doesn't happen.  I mean, nobody tried to clone Rush, even
though they sold tons of albums.  Why not?  I mean, apart
from the fact that Ted wouldn't have liked that?  ;-)

> I dunno, maybe it's just happening *really* slowly or something.  My brother
> did play a song for me by a band called System of a Down that I thought was
> alright.  Are they similar or anything?

Ummm, similar?  Only in that I think those two bands are the
leading edge of the alternative metal scene these days...  I
think System Of A Down actually has some originality that is
sadly lacking in most of the Limp Bizkit imitators pumping
out their endless, monotonous drivel these days.  (And I
even *liked* some early Nu Metal stuff, even Bizkit - check
out "Re-Arranged").  My favorite System of a Down song is
"Sugar", it's off their previous album, I think.  It's
weird, but it fuckin-A *rocks*.

> I don't know *any* of these bands.  Except a (terrible) Collective Soul song
> or two from about six years ago.  Creed is a name I see alot and perhaps

Oh, c'mon, "Shine" was a great song.  ;-)
"Heavy" was better, though.

Creed put out some seriously heavy, guitar-driven stuff on
their first album.  A little bit over-angstful, perhaps, but
_intense_.  Their followup was kind of lame pop metal.  Ah,
well...

Steve