OFF: 2001's Top 100

Guido Vacano nycademon at ATTBI.COM
Tue Jan 8 01:04:14 EST 2002

K Henderson wrote:

>I'm getting old...
>Grakkl (FAA)

Me too, but I really like Tool. I bought their first full length
release, _Undertow_, in 1994, because I was intrigued by the cover art.
It rapidly became one of my favorite albums, and I believe it played a
crucial role in getting me through graduate school with my sanity
intact. :-) I think people's perceptions of the Tool audience are a bit
off. I've seen them twice at Red Rocks (Morrison, Colorado), and I was
surprised how many people in the audience were apparently in their 30s,
and even older. The last time I saw them, King Crimson opened for them.
I'm a big King Crimson fan, but Robert Fripp has a tendancy of
disappearing into the darkness during a concert, both visually and
musically, and that concert was no exception. Still, the Tool audience
was very receptive. They weren't as kind to the Melvins (lots of booing
and bottles thrown), who opened for them at the previous Red Rocks show
(but then again, the Melvins set really was awful). :-)

Guido

P.S. I saw one King Crimson concert where Fripp was in the light, and he
was absolutely fantastic. I think he's the best guitarist I've seen.
It's weird seeing someone who looks like a grumpy Old World English
grandfather playing guitar like that. :-)