OFF: prog names in Lord of the Rings

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Wed Jan 9 18:03:10 EST 2002

Grakkl (FAA) wrote:
>I have a CD by Nazgul, or perhaps Nazgul is one of those suspected fake
>krautrock bands (in which case I have a compilation with tracks attributed
>to Nazgul).  Can't remember for sure.

Supposedly Nazgul recorded one LP of which < 100 copies were made, sold in
the mid 70s in German art galleries only. This one gets bonus points for
having musicians operating under the pseudonyms Gandalf, Frodo, and Pippin.
Nice cover art, music is fairly abstract ambient soundscapes.

>P.S.  Didn't think Lord of the Rings was anything to be excited about.
>Sometimes a classic novel makes a crappy screenplay.  And sometimes computer
>animation just looks like ridiculous fake garbage...see Balrog (or whatever
>that stupid thing was called).

Have to disagree there (see my other post). The Balrog did not coincide much
with the picture I have in my own imagination, but I thought it was a decent
enough rendition and effective too. I especially liked the director's way of
first showing us the chronicler's depiction of the beast (in Saruman's book)
before presenting the 'actual' monster.

Stephan