OFF: prog names in Lord of the Rings

Alex S. Garcia mvdbase at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 12 17:12:02 EST 2002

>Not quite the same thing, but my own favorite Tolkien-linked musical work is
>definitely Bo Hansson's 'Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings'.

THANK YOU! I've been trying to remember the name of that guy for ages. I
once saw this album on vinyl some years ago and made the mistake not to buy
it. I've been hoping to find it again since, but I couldn't remember the
guy's name. Maybe I can dig it up now :-) What kind of music is it, BTW?
That's the reason I hadn't bought it back then, come to think of it, I'd no
idea what sort of music it was... and still don't.

>very good movie - I'd give it 5 out of 5 stars except that I suspect that
>someone who doesn't know the books might get confused or not fully
>understand everything that was happening so maybe only 4.5.

You know, I had the same concern, but after discussing it with several
people who haven't read the books, it looks like it's working out just fine.
Of course, their "understanding" may be different then ours, since the
information in the movies is incomplete and sometimes even slightly
different, but the whole seems to stand on its own fairly well. Which is no
small achievement.

>I thought that none of the
>omissions/alterations/additions were especially annoying or gratuitous,

I agree. I thought some of them were even some quite smart moves.

>occasionally there was something that closely coincided with my own
>visualization, and maybe edged my mental picture a bit closer to what was on
>screen (Rivendell), but for the most part what didn't mesh with my mind's
>eye still seemed solid even if it did not in any way alter my own
>imagination (most of the Moria sequence).

Interesting. In my case, I'd say about 90% of it matched the visuals I had
in my head. So far so good :-)

Alex.

Progressive rock : prog.xrs.net / rip.xrs.net