OFF: Bo Hansson, formerly prognames in LotR

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon Jan 14 19:06:45 EST 2002

>>Not quite the same thing, but my own favorite Tolkien-linked musical work is
>>definitely Bo Hansson's 'Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings'.
>
>I once saw this album on vinyl some years ago and made the mistake not to
>buy it. I've been hoping to find it again since, but I couldn't remember
>the guy's name. Maybe I can dig it up now :-) What kind of music is it, BTW?

Bo Hansson's solo works (which actually all have numerous guests) are
all-instrumental, melodic, and very progressive (though I think quite
accessible), and are built around his Hammond organ playing which is of very
high caliber indeed (he also plays lots of other instruments including early
synths, piano, keys, guitar, etc.). There are jazz, folk, rock, and
classical influences, but they are subsumed into his very distinctive and
unique style. The 'Lord of the Rings' disc has a fairly mellow and haunting
feel to it overall (if it wasn't likely to prejudice you against it I might
say new-agey, but in a very good way), while the followups ('Magicians Hat'
and 'Attic Thoughts') get more lively and 'happy', though there is always a
feeling of melancholy just below the surface (and often above it as well).
These 3 are available at major on-line retailers (CDNOW, Amazon, etc.), and
you can hear sound snippets there too, though lately I notice LotR is only
listed as being available in an expensive import version (maybe the movie
sparked interest and old stock disappeared as a result). His last solo
release, 'Music Inspired by Watership Down' from 1977, is a bit different,
as it's almost a collaboration with guitarist Kenny Hakansson, though it's
still recognizably Hansson and I like it just as much as the others, though
for slightly different reasons. Unfortunately its never been released on CD
AFAIK, which is a huge shame - somebody should wake up and re-issue this
ASAP! Also available is a compilation of his early work as half of the duo
Hansson & Karlsson, which I had not heard until picking up the comp - just 2
musicians (organ and drums) produce some amazing music, it often sounds like
Bo has 3 hands - overall it is recognizably Bo but with a much stronger rock
component. Definitely give this one a try if you like his solo work.

Stephan