HW: Hawkwind_Moorock Moments

Duc De Montfort mikemontfort at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 17 21:13:09 EST 2002

Hi all

I am reading the Omnibus editions of Moorcocks Eternal Champion series
published by White Wolf.  I quote these excerpts with no intent of copy
write violation and only to share this with fellow fans.

I was delighted to see that the second Corum Volume, entitled Corum the
Prince with the Silver Hand, has in it's introduction this dedication:

        "This heroic fantasy, a somewhat rougher beast than Dunsany's, is
dedicated to all those old hippies with whom I shared an honest track or
two in a kind of golden Celtic afternoon some years ago - Nik Turner, Dave
Brock, Terry Ollis, Huw Lloyd Langton, Harvey Bainbridge, Simon House,
Simon King, Pete Pavli, Graham Charnock, Bob Calvert, Adrian Shaw, Steve
Gilmore, Lang Jones, Martin Griffin, Barnie Bubbles, Martin Stone and many
others - when gods and heroes still knew how to have a damned good time."
page VIII of the introduction.

More allusions to Hawkwind are in the Hawkmoon book introduction:

        "The correspondences between this volume and the music, in particular, of
Hawkwind are well-known but I was especially flattered when Sam Shepard,
the writer and actor, told me he had named one of his verse collections
after Hawkmoon. Later, on our album _The New World's Fair_, my band Deep
Fix featured Shepard's lyrics in a song by Steve Gilmore. _Song for
Marlene_ gave me my only chance to do my celebrated imitation of Marlene
Dietrich in Shanghai Express, an opportunity for which I shall always thank
Sam to whom, with my friend Mr. Ian Kilminster, I dedicate this particular
edition which is also the first to include examples of James Cawthorn's
legendary graphic versions of the first two books, which have been hard to
come by for some years and are my favourite versions of the story. Mr
Cawthorn has also drawn a new, more accurate map of Hawkmoon's world." page
vii & viii of the introduction to Hawkmoon.

Finally and I hope I have not bored you to tears with this, the Hawkmoon
Omnibus contains in it four books, the first of which is dedicated to Dave
Brock, and the fourth is dedicated to Nik Turner.

The relationship btw Mike Moorcock and Hawkwind is of course well known to
myself and all of you, but I thought I would share these bits of dedication
with the faithful

Le Duc

Mike Montfort.