HW: Hawkwind_Moorock Moments

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jan 17 21:47:34 EST 2002

DoPe says...

>My favorite Hawkwind/Moorcock moment is when Jerry Cornelius & co. show up
>at the Mountain Grill and find that half of the restaurant is occupied by
>members of Hawkwind and their friends.

Hmmm...didn't seem to me that you'd need much more than c. 1973 Hawkwind
themselves to fill up half of the Mtn Grill, or at least George's Fish Bar
(as it was in 1986).

BTW, does anybody know where the school playground is that the band is
pictured on the sleeve to the Mtn Grill album?  Is that in the
Ladbroke/Notting Hill area somewhere?  I remember strolling around the
Portobello Rd. area wondering if I might run across it.  At least I walked
under the infamous overpass.

Grakkl (FAA), who *still* doesn't know exactly what the dirty slang is
behind the MQB/MBQ moniker, not being entirely blighty-compatible, but isn't
so prudish not to have multiple theories and spending a little time thinking
about it, and who also would rather listen to the full-length restored rock
opera version of Made in Germany (Repertoire) by Amon Duul II than listen to
all of Yeti, which is fantastically blasphemous I know, but I think Side 3
is the essence of something that works perfectly well at 6 min. (as on Side
4) (so why play it for 20?), and then well...they just couldn't figure out
what else to record and the RAF were holed up in their studio or something
and so they couldn't do anything else to fill up that side of vinyl...but
then who also feels (like everyone else) that Wolf City is an absolute
stunner, and that all the other ones around then are damn good too, and who
also isn't quite sure whether it would have been preferable to hang out with
Renate Knaup (of ADII) or Uschi Obermaier (of ADI, who merely played with
her maracas for the crowd's amusement).