HW: Sound Scope

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 18 16:48:02 EST 2002

I decided I might as well read the acoustic archaeology book - just out
of curiousity.    It's maybe a bit dubious to extrapolate from what can
be done in the 21st century to what was actually done in the past,
however there are some interesting points and since there is a Hawkwind
link with 'Sonic Attack' I thought people might find the following of
interest:

Vibration Resonant Frequencies For Selected Parts of the Human Body
These parts of the body or body structures resonate naturally at the
following frequencies, and will respond to any such frequencies in the
environment around them.
Measurements are in Hz

WHOLE BODY:
lying down  2Hz
standing (relaxed)  4-5 Hz
sitting  5-6 Hz

Heat (when seated)  2-8 Hz
Head  20-30 Hz

Eyeball  40-60 Hz
Eardrum  1,000 Hz
Main torso  3-5 Hz
Thorax  3-5 Hz
Chest wall  60 Hz
Spinal column  8Hz
Abdominal mass  4-8 Hz

Pelvic area (semi-prone)  8Hz

Hip:
sitting  2-8
standing  4
(source NASA-STD-3000/Vol1/REV.A (abstracted)
[from:  'Stone Age Soundtracks - The Acoustic Archaeology of Ancient
Sites' by Paul Devereux]

As a further curious observation he also suggests that infrasound
(virbrations made by machinery or something else that are too low to be
normally heard and can only be experienced) resonating in a room may be
one reason why some people say that they feel a ghostly presence in a
particular place.

Just thought you'd like to know 8-)
jill