HW: Damned by the curse of Damned (was Re: Greasy Truckers Party 2001)

Sat Jan 19 20:16:59 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:09:54PM -0500, Nick Medford typed out:

> Well, former Sisters man Wayne Hussey had that execrable band The Mission
> (whatever happened to them? They were huge in the mid-80s) who formed an
> association with John Paul Jones- (JPJ played with them, produced them,
> even acted as a sort of rock-god guru to little Wayne I believe)- and from
> there you can do the standard Led Zep-Roy Harper-anyone you want (including
> HW) link. But I don't think there's a more direct link than that, unless
> there's one through Generation X (a former Gen X-er was briefly in the
> Sisters I think, don't know who or when, Gen X never interested me and I
> had lost interest in the Sisters by then).

        Ha ha, that one will do for the file...

> Well, you can connect the Damned to the Pistols through Lu Edmunds, who was
> in Lydon's PiL immediately after his stint with the Damned.

        And the Pistols to Hawkwind via P. I. L. also as Ginger Baker had
a stint with them :-)

> Anyway this is a silly game and I don't want to play anymore... but I can't
> help myself! Stop it both of you!

        Ah, you love it really :-) Look, here's some test questions for
you (and indeed everyone):

Link the following to Hawkwind (playing either the shortest- or
lengthiest-link version, the link must have some creative input so
producers count but support acts don't, cover versions isn't good enough,
all other niggles to be settled arbitrarily by me as much as anyone... )

A. Easy

1. Thin Lizzy

2. Deep Purple

3. Chrome

B. More obscure

4. Genesis

5. The MC5

6. Pink Floyd (okay, there are several ways to do this; if you can get
more than three have a bonus point)

C. Really quite surprising

7. Mountain

8. Therapy?

9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (no, Lemmy roadying for them doesn't count,
nor does Nik getting complimented by Jimi from the stage and in any case
that wasn't the Experience... )

D. Men from the Boys

10. Tangerine Dream (to get the point you need *two* independent
connections)

        One, two, three, go... Yours,
                                      Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk