HW: Damned by the curse of Damned

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Jan 20 01:06:36 EST 2002

In message <20020120011659.A7825 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> writes

>Link the following to Hawkwind (playing either the shortest- or
>lengthiest-link version, the link must have some creative input so
>producers count but support acts don't, cover versions isn't good enough,
>all other niggles to be settled arbitrarily by me as much as anyone... )
>
>A. Easy
>
>1. Thin Lizzy

Brian Robertson's stint with  Motorhead, 'nuff said

Also a link through Phil Collins, see under Genesis below

>2. Deep Purple

1. Richie Blackmore- Rainbow- Bobby Rondinelli- BOC- Moorcock-
HW

2. Rainbow- Cozy Powell- ELP (in the brief period in the 80s when it
was Powell rather than Palmer)- Greg Lake- King Crimson- Robert
Fripp- David Bowie- Simon House
(see below for other Fripp links)

3. David Coverdale- Coverdale/Page- Led Zep- Roy Harper- HW
(either via Floyd, or Harper's playing with Huw, or Harper's brief intro
on "Do Not Panic", etc.)

Also: Gillan and HW played on the same bill at Donington one year
('82?) (tenuous I know)

>3. Chrome

Helios Creed playing with Nik

>B. More obscure
>
>4. Genesis

Hmmm... Brian Eno involvement on both Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down
on Broadway" and Calvert's "Lucky Lief and the Longships"

Robert Fripp has played with Peter Gabriel (on PG's second solo
album)... Fripp has also played with Bowie, another member of Bowie's
band at that time was one Simon House

Phil Collins guests on Thin Lizzy's "Johnny the Fox" album, see Lizzy
link above

Phil Collins (him again) played with the surviving members of Led Zep
at Live Aid, thus standard Zep- Roy Harper- HW link

After Steve Hackett left Genesis, his backing band had a keyboard player
called Nick Magnus, who had briefly been a member of the Enid... HW
and the Enid both appear on the Stonehenge '84 video, and one of the
Enid's ex-members was in HW for about a nanosecond I think (Robbie
Dobson??)

>5. The MC5

Wayne Kramer playing with Mick Farren's Deviants

Or the long way round... Wayne Kramer playing in Mad for the Racket
with Brian James, once of the Damned (them again)- thus opening up the
billion or so Damned-HW links as exhaustively discussed here before

>6. Pink Floyd (okay, there are several ways to do this; if you can get
>more than three have a bonus point)

1. Through Roy Harper as above (sang on Floyd's "Have A Cigar", Dave
Gilmour plays on his "Unknown Soldier" album, etc.)

2. Syd Barrett's short-lived post-Floyd band Stars, which included
Twink on drums- standard Fairies/Hawks links

3. Roger Waters' most recent backing band included Snowy White, who
has played in a band with Huw (Blue Zone?).. I think.. if not, White was
a member of Thin Lizzy (them again)- see above

4. Roger Waters' first post-Floyd band (Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking
album and tour) included Eric Clapton, who was in Cream with one
Ginger Baker

5. Nick Mason produced the Damned's "Music for Pleasure" album (the
Damned broke up for the first of many times during its recording and
subsequently disowned the resulting mess)- Damned-HW links as before

>C. Really quite surprising
>
>7. Mountain

I'll have to pass here, I wouldn't know a member of Mountain if I saw
one busking on my doorstep. (did they do "Nantucket Sleighride"?)

>8. Therapy?

No idea. This is a band for Young People, I think you only mention them
to taunt us with your youth. Although they did do a passable cover of Joy
Division's "Isolation".

>9. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (no, Lemmy roadying for them doesn't count,
>nor does Nik getting complimented by Jimi from the stage and in any case
>that wasn't the Experience... )

Terry Ollis has played with Noel Redding I believe. I know Terry O. is
in a band called Little Wing, so I'd guess that's the connection.
Alternatively it could have been in Road or Fat Mattress.

>D. Men from the Boys
>
>10. Tangerine Dream (to get the point you need *two* independent
>connections)

Well... I'll save this one for more serious thought. But I fear my TD
knowledge may be insufficient.

Meanwhile... can you (or anyone else) link HW with the following...

The Who
Weather Report
The Moody Blues

and if you want improbable links, try these:

Saxon
Montrose
Leo Sayer
Style Council

and for the gold star:

Mike Oldfield- but you need at least three different ways...

and for the gold star with the diamond inlay:

Whitney Houston!

enjoy! (alternatively, get a life instead :-) )
--
Nick Medford