Odds and sods

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Jan 22 16:15:39 EST 2002

SF says...

>>For the other two bands, you'd do MUCH better to start with their albums
>>that include Hawkwind members.  Amon Duül's first two albums (with Dave
>>Anderson), 'Phallus Dei' and 'Yeti' are BRILLIANT!
>
>Yes yes yes. And I see that CDNow lists remasters of these w/ bonus tracks
>as being available at the end of this month, though they were already
>available as imports for a while. Yes yes yes.

On 12 different labels I believe.  :)

>>And the next three, 'Carnival In Babylon', 'Dance of the Lemmings' and
>>'Wolf City' (all without Anderson) are also very good.  The Radio 1 show
>>was recorded a couple years after those.
>
>Yes again. Also very good is the disc titled Live in London (Rodney Matthews
>alien attacking Big Ben on the cover art)

Telecom tower I should think?  (If they play in London and do another live
album, I imagine the beast should be attacking the London Eye thingy now.)

>>Grakkl (FAA) ... who would rather listen to the full-length restored rock
>>opera version of Made in Germany (Repertoire) by Amon Duul II than listen to
>>all of Yeti, which is fantastically blasphemous I know, but I think Side 3
>>is the essence of something that works perfectly well at 6 min. (as on Side
>>4) (so why play it for 20?)
>
>Ooh, blasphemy indeed! (Making the sign to ward off evil). Not only is Yeti
>brilliant and my favorite ADII album (side-long track and all), it is also
>one of my favorite albums period. I find the improvs on there to be so
>listenable that what is good at 6 minutes is twice as good at 12, and 3x as
>good at 18!

I dunno...I think maybe it's just that Dave Anderson's bass just isn't doing
it for me.  I think about how much better it would be if it were Ade Shaw or
Lemmy playing there.  And I don't say that because of Anderson's culpability
for the Yuri Gagarin releases either.

>Having said that, it is now my turn to blaspheme (against
>nature, Doug, and spacerock), and admit that, aside from the odd track here
>and there, I do not own any Gong recordings. This, along with the absence of
>any early Pink Floyd

A Saucerful of Secrets man.

>is probably the most obviously gaping hole in my
>collection and something that I'll eventually have to address. I do intend
>to one day get hold of at least the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy as Doug
>recommends.

Angels Egg is my favorite, even though You is the more spacerock jam album.
The Flute Salad/Oily Way/Inner Temple/Outer Temple sequence is (for me) the
Gong analog of Assault & Battery/The Golden Void.

>Farflung on Falcata-galia:
>when IS this coming out? I think Keith is right about F-G being linked to
>Transparency,

I think Jerry told me that the only relationship was that Transparency was
distributing some F-G product.  Nothing more formal than that.  Correct me
if I'm mistaken, Jerry.

Grakkl (FAA)