OFF: The Use of Ashes

Andreas Stuewe Andreas.Stuewe at T-ONLINE.DE
Wed Jan 23 13:29:19 EST 2002

K Henderson wrote:
> Hey there..
>
> Can anyone tell me anything about a Dutch band called The Use of Ashes??  A
> guy named Peter van Vliet is the leader/guitarist/vocalist, and appears (or
> so it seems) on the IEM - IEM Have Come for your Children CD.  TUoA
> apparently toured with PTree some time ago, so no doubt that's how he and SW
> met.  I also saw reference to Van Vliet playing in a Pink Floyd tribute
>  concert.
>
> I was just wondering what their CDs were like, or even what CDs they have,
> and where they might be available.
>
> Grakkl (FAA)

UoA are a dutch duo from Nijmegen. AfaIk they only released one CD in 96
called "Firetree" on italian label Mellow Records. It was also released as a
self-released ltd. ed. double vinyl. It´s pretty lame folk rock with lots of
electronics and rather depressive lyrics. Definitely not space rock! There´s
also a 7" and a 10" (different tracks) on dutch label Tone float.

They were indeed support act to PTree in 98. And they also played in 96 support
to HW at the Sweet Smoke festival in Tilburg. Live they are even worse than on
record IMO.

Andreas