OFF:Re: Hawkwind Tour supporters bus?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jan 24 07:26:26 EST 2002

Neil Ward writes:

> You would also have to be sure that any prices for hire included such things
> as fuel, and whether there would be charges for parking, etc. Some venues
> have very little parking space available, and most motorway services/car
> parks charge for coach parking.
>
> It would be OK for a couple of nights, but more than a week and you would
> have to be very sure that all the members can get on together

Few people really go more than a week.  I'm sure things are as basic as,
say, a barge trip.  OTOH the main purpose of the bus would be travelling
overnight and an after gig party prior to forty winks. Food is
available in cafes and bars when you get there. I'm as fussy as any
about showering every day, and even when cycling and camping I manage
that (usually at swimming baths). The discomforts would be offset by not
having to get trains or buses, or drive across the country every day.

> and would pay
> there share of the expenses.

The only way to do it would be to work out total costs with a built ion
reserve for vacancy and charge a fixed rate per person per night, take a
deposit and nobody is confirmed until they've paid the lot. I do that
just for running a minibus to a gig and I certainly wouldn't do less on
a deal which would be measured in thousands.

> Not a thing to organise lightly.

No, but it looks feasible.

> The drivers aren't always in agreement with the attitudes of the passengers.
> (Who mentioned Trev Hughes?) :-)

Organiser arbitrates and rules.

FoFP