OFF: The Use of Ashes

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Jan 24 10:56:56 EST 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:13:30 -0500, John McIntyre <mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU>
wrote:

>> Never heard of them, but I can tell you where the name probably comes
>> from: a This Mortal Coil song, Use of Ashes might be the name of it, but
>> even if not it has those words as a recurring lyrical motif.
>
>The title is "The Jeweler"

Yeah, that rings the bell. Lines about dusting clockfaces with ashes etc.

 and was originally done by Tom Rapp, although I
>don't know if it was on one of his solo albums or done by his Pearls Before
>Swine project.

OK so the one I heard must've been a cover. There were some interesting
cover versions on some of those 4AD/This Mortal Coil albums, a particular
one that stood out was a cover of Roy Harper's "Another Day".

OK, I confess- the real point of this message is to continue linking Roy
Harper to absolutely everyone and everything.

:-)