HW: Hawkwind's Lemmy, Nik and...

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jan 28 02:45:26 EST 2002

Zlak spake...

>   I have a couple questions regarding Lemmy.  Does anyone know the status
>of his legal entanglement with the United States over his bogus drug bust
>nearly THREE decades ago?

Was it the US that 'busted' him?  I was always thinking it was the
Canadians, but perhaps hearing 'detained at the Canadian border' in typical
Amerocentric fashion (but then they have only one border so it's perfectly
understandable eh?) :) has made me think it was the Mounties who snagged
him...not sure which way they were going at that time.

>Exactly, what drug was he arrested for, because
>it seems to be it was a sleeping aid or something benign.

Amphetamines, as was already mentioned....not exactly a sleeping aid.  And
of course, Lemmy means 'speed-freak' I believe.

>Does Lemmy even care anymore that he can't have a Green Card?

As Dan said, seems to me he's lived in LA for a good decade.

However, what you say isn't so out-of-the-realm-of-possibility given that
Simon House was detained in LA for 24 hours in 2000 on their way down to
Australia/NZ, based on a drug arrest in 1974-75 (I imagine).  And not sure
about Brock himself in 1998 at Niagara, whether that was drugs or some crap
about being a general ne'er-do-well to young kids' minds (as if we were all
likely to start staging demonstrations against the Vietnam War or
something).  Tree I assume was drugs...does anybody know if something went
down with him in '95 or '97?

>Nik seems like a charming fellow, and willing to work with just about
>any musician, and has been making new pacts in recent years with Hawkwind
>alumni.

Some would argue that that's because he can't do anything successfully on
his own.  But not me!  :)

>The burning question I have, is why doesn't Nik and company join
>forces with Lemmy and record some new material, on the side; an album
>between Motorhead albums/tours.  Definitely not as Hawkwind

I'll say.  :)  What kind of beast would that be anyway?  I'd hardly see the
point....though I suppose Nik could play some bigband-type sax when Lemmy
does his stuff with the dude from Stray Cats et al.  But what does that have
to do with Hawkwind, past present or future?  Nothing.  I wouldn't buy it.
And of course, Nik lives in Wales (I think), and Lemmy in LA.

>Just, drop all the power struggles of Hawkwind command, and let old
>friends, who just happen to be musicians make music.

It seems a foregone conclusion that this ain't gonna happen.  Well, they
were all on stage together in October, 2000...but there wasn't any
qualification that they needed to like each other.  And I didn't care
personally, as long as they continued playing.  :)

Grakkl (FAA)