HW: Hawkwind's Lemmy, Nik and...

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Mon Jan 28 10:02:24 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 02:45:26AM -0500, K Henderson wrote:
> Zlak spake...
>
> >   I have a couple questions regarding Lemmy.  Does anyone know the status
> >of his legal entanglement with the United States over his bogus drug bust
> >nearly THREE decades ago?
>
> Was it the US that 'busted' him?  I was always thinking it was the
> Canadians

That was my impression too.  At Niagara Falls, so presumably en
route to a gig in Toronto.

> but perhaps hearing 'detained at the Canadian border' in typical
> Amerocentric fashion

:-)

> >Exactly, what drug was he arrested for, because
> >it seems to be it was a sleeping aid or something benign.
>
> Amphetamines, as was already mentioned....not exactly a sleeping aid.

But as Dan mentioned, not, at the time, as serious an offence as
the cocaine they originally thought it was.  It *was* illegal
though, I believe.

> And
> of course, Lemmy means 'speed-freak' I believe.

I thought it meant "lemmy a quid", as on everyone's t-shirts in
the "1999 Party" photos.

> >Does Lemmy even care anymore that he can't have a Green Card?
>
> As Dan said, seems to me he's lived in LA for a good decade.

And doesn't seem to have too much trouble getting into Canada
either.  I've been to a couple of Motorhead gigs in Toronto, and
have foregone many more.

> some crap
> about being a general ne'er-do-well to young kids' minds (as if we were all
> likely to start staging demonstrations against the Vietnam War or
> something).

Why not?  HW fans are dinosaurs anyway (just ask NME) :-)

> >Just, drop all the power struggles of Hawkwind command, and let old
> >friends, who just happen to be musicians make music.
>
> It seems a foregone conclusion that this ain't gonna happen.  Well, they
> were all on stage together in October, 2000...

And by December 2000, HW had a new sax player (yay Jez!).  Nuff
said.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
One ring to rule the mall.