HW:Glastonbury Festival Chat Message Board

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Tue Jan 29 14:08:09 EST 2002

> Do you want to see Hawkwind, or the Hawkestra.  Or, do you want to see
Kiss
> playing with Peter Criss and the Space Ace?  This is 2002.  Remember?  We
> move on.  THIS IS NOT 1972 - DO NOT PANIC!

<snip rant>
Oooh crikey!  Calm down there!

Firstly, I wouldn't see Kiss for any amount of money whoever was in the
band.

> In case anyone hasn't got my drift yet, Hawkwind is Hawkwind NOW.  Not
> Hawkwind twenty years ago.  If you're hankering back to your teenage
years,
> go home and listen to Sonic Attack.  (Fantastic Album, but it's not
Hawkwind
> NOW.)

My point was that HW at Glasto should be something special.  For me the
Hawkestra gig was something special.  Not because I was reliving my youth (I
was only 2 when Space Ritual came out, didn't get into HW until around
'85-'86).  But seeing Lemmy, Nik etc with Dave and the current guys was a
real blast.  I'd seen Lemmy with the band for a couple of encores and that'd
been cool, but the atmosphere, above all else, at Brixton was magic.  Yeah,
it was a rough gig, and being honest Lemmy ended up needing Ali bailing him
out on bass.  But it was great fun.  Great to do once or twice every few
years.  For regular touring give the current line-up, or similar.  I didn't
go to 13 HW gigs last year to complain about the lack of Lemmy.  I went 'cos
I was having a whale of time at each and every one of them.  Of course from
time to time one thinks wouldn't it be nice if xxxx was on stage with them
(insert name of Harvey, Nik, Ron, Jerry, Jez, Tim, Keith or whovever it is
you'd like) but the basic line-up we have now is playing a blinder on a
regular basis.  That doesn't mean that  pulling the stops out for a
particularly special occasion  and getting loads of guest stars in is a bad
thing.

'nuff said?

Nick