HW: The Links Factor

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jan 29 17:22:33 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:59:08 -0000, Justin Hood
<Jazzy at JAZZMEISTER.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
>The producer of some of OMD songs was Mike Howlett the bass player with
>gong,

Darn!  You beat me to it!  But I think Howlett's closest link to HW is that
he played bass on Nik's 'Xitintoday' (and the "Nuclear Waste" single, also
w/Nik).

>now there a link also with Berlin (Take My Breath Away), Blanchmange
>!!, Joan Armatrading & Martha and the Muffins (Echo Beach)

... and also the Thompson Twins (first and/or second album, when they were
still a "big" 6/7?-piece band, well before they were an awful synthpop
trio).

>What about the Charlatans, maybe its a bit too easy

Let's see ... Mike Wilhelm of the Charlatans played in the Flamin' Groovies
with Chris Wilson, who was later in the Barracudas.  The Barracudas'
original drummer was Nick Turner!  (Oh, you mean THOSE Charlatans [known
as "Charlatans UK" here in the states, which is about all I know about
them ... the American Charlatans, who I DO know about, were a 60's Bay Area
pre-psychedelic band whose membership also included Dan Hicks] ... and THAT
Nik Turner ... oops!  Actually, wasn't Nick/Nicky Turner the drummer for
Lords of the New Church, which would tie into the Damned & Tanz Der Youth
[w/Al Powell] via Brian James?).

It's a sick game ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com