OFF: Re: Glastonbury Fayre 2002

Iain Ferguson IainFerguson at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 3 08:22:30 EDT 2002

Hi,

Whilst I'd like to agree with you. There are a couple of things that you
need to take into consideration.

Before 1990 and afterwards..
Before 1990 the festival was absolutely what a good festival should be.
Women ( my wife and other friends wives) felt able to wander the site by
themselves without worry and actually felt really safe. YOu could take a
15hour trip and lie on the grass and feel completely safe and not get
distubed by anyone. You could walk around, go discuss poltics, even in
the old days you could take a day trip to Stonehenge festival and come
back the next day. You could take you stereo and put it in your tent and
create a sound system for the weekend. YOu could even get some sleep
sleep <G>.

After 1990 The thieves came, the muggers and the new chemical
generation. Gone were the Mushrooms, acid, Cider & Hash , in came the
Coke, E, Smack, and extra strength lager.
No longer could you take anything of even the remotest value as is got
pinched. women no longer felt completely at ease, you couldnt sleep, and
in me & my wifes case 2 years ago got woken from our sleep by some
"shithead freeloader"  with a lit camping Gas burner threatening to
torch the tent unless we handed over our wallets...... Suffice to say I
gave him the wallets " which by the way i always empty at night " and he
fucked off into the night....

Now im not a soft hands, but I was Fucking greatful for the security
that night as they were straight into our tent 30 seconds after the
mugger left asking what he did and took, they had watched him for a
couple of minutes more then caught him... Thankfully he was dealt with
and our already empty wallets returned...

If the new fence stops people like this from getting to the festival,
then I'm up for it. I don't need that kind of hassle, I had already had
enough of that in the early nineties with the Brew Crew. It's more
corperate now, but at least its still got some spark of independance
unlike all the other major festivals this year.

Pity I can't make the Hawkwind bash in July, as I'm already at another
festival near shaftesbury that weekend. the Hawkwind bash sounds like
it'll be like the do's in the 80's were you could beep out for a number
of hours.....

Rant over... I just wish the world was nicer really <g>