OFF: Re: Glastonbury Fayre 2002

Mahkno nestor Mahkno at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 3 13:01:54 EDT 2002

nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK writes:

> "Anyone who
> argues that these things lend some kind of "authentic" spirit to a festi is
> talking the purest bullshit."

well I wholeheartedly agree with that and I hope that no one could have
gotten the idea that I was  advocating violence -absolutely not the case. If
anything in my post suggests this I retract it unreservedly.

however it does appear that on the back of the personaldafety/crowd control
issues - which were real enough there has been a projection of state power
into just about every aspect of the thing - stalls that used to have cans
stella etc no longer do so - because not liscensed - customs and exise trying
to nab anyone hawking any beer plain clothes drug squad - co-ordinated swoop
on hawkers selling illicit substances etc -etc this sort of thing has nothing
to with personal/crowd safety. It is an attempt to regulate  simply to
demonstrate power to do so. To show who is on top.

As for spirit it seems to me that it does require a certain relaxation of
societal norms - somewhat in the manner of meadieval day of misrule. The
state will not countenace anything of the sort even in a restricted area for
one weekend a year.

Now as if on cue our Home secretary is proposing national ID cards!