HW: actually, really RE: Off: Tull!!! but explicit HW at the end

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Fri Jul 12 13:36:12 EDT 2002

Keeping the embers alight...

>... _Complete '79_ and _Glastonbury 1990_ are surely as valid a target
>as was _Yuri Gagarin_ and _In The Beginning_ for that scenario where
>someone is interested enough in Hawkwind to buy a CD, finds it
>unlistenable and never tries again.

G90 yes, but Complete 79? The main problem there (as I hear it) are a few
glitches - but the overall sound doesn't seem too bad to me, the mix is
good, there's just a pervasive fuzziness which isn't that distracting. I
find it interesting that only '79 and '82 are explicitly identified as
'Collector's Series' releases on the cover artwork, when I consider those 2
to actually sound better than '76 and Glasto'90. I don't think anyone would
argue differently re G90, but I do understand that it is definitely a matter
of personal opinion as to whether fuzzy sound and glitches (79) are actually
'better' than clearer sound but a mix that pushes the synth/violin/sax/flute
all the way into the background (76). What I think will raise no argument is
the contention that SOMEONE should have done SOMETHING to the sound, after
all some care was taken with the packaging and a little work on the audio
might have been rewardeed handsomely. Failing that, CLEAR LABELLING of all
Collector's Series releases can't be a bad thing for anybody.

>Yeah, you have to look at it from several perspectives.  There's the
>hardkore fan (like me) who wants it all, and is more than willing to forego
>sound quality for a good performance ... *I* want to be able to get all the
>stuff at the local shop.

Yep, from a purely selfish viewpoint, I don't care HOW I get this stuff, I
just want to be able to get it. In the real world, the market forces
tradeoffs and compromises (for ANY band) and I think its the rare artist who
has the luxury of having figured it all out.

>I think basically my stance is, "It's a pity Hawkwind are issuing
>records which sound so awful, especially given how loyally we all harangue
>Dave Anderson for doing it too." But they seem to have stopped doing it
>now? Maybe?

Speaking only for myself, I think the haranguing Dave Anderson gets should
be for not paying the band rather than for the quality of what he's putting
out...though a Collector's Series type label would be appropriate there too...

>... The only reason I don't like 'Yuri Gagarin' is because I think the
>performance is weak; the sound quality is perfectly acceptable *for what
>it is* (pretty much the ONLY documentation of the post-'Space Ritual'
>Calvert-fronted lineup).

I actually think this is quite a strong performance! Lacking in subtlety,
yes, but with a manic punk edge that was instrumental in convincing at least
one doubter that HW were/are a band not to be summarily dismissed...

>> P.S. If anyone's listening - Collector Series spring '84 or
>> Stonehenge '84 ... PLEASE!!!
>        Can I add a resounding "Hell yeah" to that?

Add my hell yeah too, and I'd also like to make a plug for some live 75
material, even if it doesn't have Lemmy, as long as it has a 10 minute
version of Opa-Loka!

Stephan