OFF: National Steam - repost

Amphetamine Embalmer superskrull666 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sat Jul 13 17:10:39 EDT 2002

... it just struck me... how great it would be if Ohio
based band National Steam put out a single or an EP
with "The Sutler" and "Ode To Death" off their fine
1998 CD debut on Eternity's Jest records - it
certainly would make a nice collector's item and an
immortalised slab of fine sounding gothrock too...

...the band's brooding and dark sound is reminiscent
of Tangerine Dream ca. "Alpha Centauri" and "Phaedra"
and Peter Hammill's better 70's and 80's output with
and without Van Der Graaf Generator ca. "Still Life",
"In Camera" and "Nadir's Big Chance",  as well as the
music from the first "Alien" movie. Spooky synths
bring to mind The Legendary Pink Dots ca. "Legendary
Pink Box" with some guitarwork leaning a little
towards Huw Lloyd Langton's classic 80's stint with
Hawkwind on albums like "Sonic Attack" or "Xenon
Codex", as well as echoes of early Sisters of Mercy
ca. "First And Last And Always".

"as long as he controls his destiny...a  mover, a
shaker a wheeler, a dealer, sailing the oceans of
opportunity..."
- 'The Sutler' by National Steam

"... I walk through the valley of the shadow... I fear
no-one... I will come for you someday... Satan is my
poker buddy, Magog's my friend..."
- 'Ode To Death' by National Steam

I created all the art and packaging on this excellent
CD for a mere $150 in payment plus promotion copies
which I handed out on a local radio show I hosted some
years back. I am always looking for more paid
illustration jobs in this field, as well as in the
general art world as well with my otherwise long
standing background in mainstream and underground
horror and humour comics and in the underground in
general, both as a writer and an artist and a painter,
 as well as other paid production and technical work
with major publishers and film studios.

The front cover illustration of National Steam's debut
CD of a fiery train blasting through space can be
found at http://www.quarkspace.com/NSTEAM.HTM . The
art was scanned and recreated in Photoshop with Kai's
Power Tools and a lathe renderer through several photo
filters for a faded and grainy 3D look, while the
inside booklet photo remains in worthy black-and-white
tribute to the SST-patented style of the early SubPop
label. The eerie back artwork is a moody photo of the
fiery summer evening skies over Oslo's
west side,  a rusty Commodore 64 computer-style
lettering for the track listing expressing the moody
and epic style of the album. Contact me at the email
address for inquiries.

hellbent for leather,
-Charlie Yuga
http://bloomingdales.dreamstation.com/pulp/