HW: Summer Camp

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Mon Jul 22 19:09:39 EDT 2002

Gosh - that was fun!   Thanks to Kris, Dave, everyone for organising
that.  Haven't had such a relaxed and friendly 3 days in years - it was
really nice to wander around meeting folk I'd only ever seen as email
names!   Bands were all good - Hawkwind did a very heavy-sound set.
Track list was (I think) the same as Hastings and the encore became part
of the main set because of the time restrictions.   Earth Calling was
interesting and there were two tracks I didn't recognise.   It's a good
combination of tracks that merge well together though the first three or
four tracks seemed to take a long long time to get going.   The pace
really picked up from Spirit of the Age through to Earth Calling and
Hurry on Sundown is a great way to finish.     They had a huge stage
with a massive domed roof and the lightshow was projected onto the
inside of it.  Once it got properly dark (and it takes a long time to
get dark in Devon in July) it was splendidly impressive!         Martin
Griffin was there and played drums with Huw's "Broken Bits Band".   Also
Mick Slattery (I think?!).   Tim Blake came to join a group of us in a
chat round a campfire after the show.   Richard Chadwick did a drumming
master class.  Dave was pedalling one of Merrick's laid-back tricycles
around the place.   Kevin Barton played guitar with Spacehead.   I
managed to see Mr Quimby's Beard at last - excellent band and they are
doing a studio album at the moment.    There were camp fires after the
show and loads of interesting people to talk to although total numbers
were smaller than I'd expected.  And the days were perfect summer
weather - warm sunshine with enough of a wind and clouds to prevent it
becoming intolerably hot.

Downsides -  how COLD it got at night!     The Cafe not opening for
breakfast until mid afternoon.   And, yes, the loos 8-((    I took
Sunday afternoon off to walk 3 miles to Beer to find (a) Sunday lunch
and (b) flushing toilets!

Anyhow hi to everyone I met.  Hope you all got home safely.    And many
many thanks to Hawkwind and all involved in the Hawkfest.   .
jill
Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk>