Hawkfest memories: The One Eyed Bishops, proper thanks and recollections

Burro Mike sloterdijk at MSN.COM
Wed Jul 24 14:11:47 EDT 2002

Hello everyone, where to begin?
Well we jetted over and spent four days at the festival and had a splendid time; but that's understood. Hmmmm, how should I go about this summation?

OK lets' start with some proper thank u's, then:

Thanks to Kris & Dave for inviting us to perform at this very special and wonderful event. Dave, it was nice chatting about skiffle and 'tea chest basses'. You were right about the brilliant saxophonist, Cheers!
I was not aware until later, that you were briefly present at our Friday night campsite rehearsal. Kris, thanks for helping me to laugh yet once more about our airline ticket mixup. London, Ontario would have been a very different experience! To those of you in the Canadian provinces, we have credit with Air Canada for the next 12 months and we intend to use it.

Special thanks to the never ending wellspring of inspiration in my life, my love, Dr. Maria Ramundo.
Lovely, your presence gave rise to a feeling not explainable in words.

Phil, Kathy, Cheryl and families. Your hospitality after 30 sleepless hours will never be forgotten.

Before thanking individual band members, may I say thanks to the following people; Jeff, Colin, Andy, Keith ( thanks for the ride mate) , the soundcrew and all production staff, Eric, Donna, Lindsey, Richard, Huw ( thanks for the invite to jam on Sunday, but we had to start back toward Heathrow), Tim ( I enjoyed our discussions over veggie burgers and coffee), Trev ( the Absinthe was much appreciated), all those who watched us play, those who helped us eat by buying our cds, and everyone who spoke to or offered us a kind word. I had been waiting for the right opportunity to play in the UK for many years.

Now special musical thanks to the following individuals:

'Rustic' Rod Goodway; for acting as a liaison between Phil Smith and ourselves. Peace to you brother and thanks so much. www.Achingcellar.co.uk

Don Craine: For those of you unfamiliar with Don's band, 'The Downliners Sect', I feel compelled to plug them. Don has really mentored and guided me through my continuing explorations of skiffle and Richmond R&B. He did knock The Beatles out of the number one spot in Sweden, and that's just one of decades worth of accomplishments. www.Angelfire.com/rock3/Yardbird_Sect/

The Band:

Mr. Dibs: Bass guitar
Dibs, thanks so much for joining us. I will never forget that version of 'Hymie the Winey'. I heard it on tape and you rocked!!! I also dug Spacehead's set very much. Loved that 'Space is Deep' jam, and Keith's modulated guitar...nice... www.Spacehead.iwarp.com

Rogalski: Body Armour Washboard and assorted percussion
This man made an 8 hour journey by motorway all the way from the northern territories to perform with us ( and then had to drive home the same night! ). We became worried when we did not see him until 20 minutes before the gig. Then that worry turned into an ecstatic state as we watched his wife assist him into his kilt. Next thing I knew he was having a good stiff drink. On stage he breathed life into the band with his mobility and enthusiasms. Thanks so much Rogalski and Lindsey.
www.Bigpawsrecords.com

Phil Smith: lead electric guitars
Phil you just rock man. I don't know what else to say, you blew me away!!
www.Headsmith.co.uk

Jay Adcock: Djembe
Dude, you are the best, and definitely my main man. Thanks for shlepping to gigs with me everywhere for all these years. I hope people will understand Jay's importance in all my projects. If it were not for him, I would be clueless in a lot of situations.
http://theoneeyedbishops.iuma.com
www.mp3.com/sloterdijk

Mike Burro: Acoustic rhythm and lead guitar, vocals
http://theoneeyedbishops.iuma.com
www.mp3.com/sloterdijk

And of course thank you Hawkwind; not just for this event and opportunity, but for years and years of enjoyment and persistence of vision in a truly mad world.

In the coming days photos from the gig will be available on the Headsmith and OEBs websites!!

Peace to all of you....Mike Burro

PS: The One Eyed Bishops will appear on a compilation tape released by UK indie label and magazine 'Bliss Aquamarine' Check out www.blissaquamarine.net

I apologize if I forgot anyone:)