HW: Fw: Question for seller -- Item #894634538 was HW: London Underground on e-bay

Jill Strobridge jill at THETA-ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sun Jul 28 17:00:12 EDT 2002

Just out of curiousity I emailed the seller about this and received the
following response.    Clearly the seller is only going by information
he located elsewhere - perhaps from the Tapestry of Delights web page?
Certainly the ebay description stresses the "allegedly" aspect in an
appropriately cautious way.

Caveat emptor.
jill
Jill Strobridge <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk>
----- Original Message -----
From: <jill at theta-orionis.freeserve.co.uk>
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 5:24 PM
Subject: Question for seller -- Item #894634538

Hello David of London.    Dave Brock does not know anything about this
item and has
never heard of L. Paul- Phillips.    Where did you get your information
from?
Does the music sound anything like Hawkwind in 1972?
thanks
--------------------

Hi,

Well I took care in my description to say it's *allegedly* by him.
There's
a reference to the LP on the following website:

http://www.borderlinebooks.com/uk6070s/tapestry.html?http://www.borderli
nebooks.com/uk6070s/l5z.html

(wait for the full page to load, then click on the 'London Underground'
link or scroll
down the page)

Unsubstantiated of course. However it was not unheard of for contracted
rock musicians to adopt pseudonyms for library work at that time
(eg The Pretty Things and the 'Electric Banana' series on De Wolfe).

The following is from my auction description on eBay:

"The LP consists of twelve instrumental tracks in a funky psych-rock
style, with lashings of prog. The playing and arrangements are
solid - although the LP was presumably dashed off for cash, the
tracks stand up very well. Instrumentation is
guitars/bass/drums/Hammond organ. The LP title is punning off the
London underground rock scene of the time, as well as the 'London
Underground' subway train system. A 'straphanger', in case anyone's
interested, was a standing passenger who would steady him/herself
while the train was in motion by holding on to one of a series of
flexible
strap handles, fixed to the ceiling of the train. The place names are
mostly stations on the Central Line (I think Hawkwind were based in
Notting Hill so the Central is the line they would have taken into
the West End of London)."

As to whether it sounds like Hawkwind, I couldn't say - about the
only track by Hawkwind I know is 'Silver Machine'. Anyway the
rumour (such as it is) is that Dave Brock was involved, not the
whole of Hawkwind. It is definitely underground rock though.

One thing I would say is that 'L. Paul-Phillips' probably *is* a
pseudonym. I've seen a lot of library music LPs and you see
the same names cropping up repeatedly. I've only seen
'L. Paul-Phillips' on this LP and 'London's Underground vol.2',
on which the credits are shared with 'R. Singer'.

David