OFF: Star One - Space Metal

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Jun 11 18:23:14 EDT 2002

I had no intention of buying this, but then I heard that if you mailed Arjen
Anthony Lucassen and identified yourself as a Hawkwind fan he might (might)
send you a copy of the bonus disc with the Hawkwind medley. I don't know if
he actually has sent anyone a copy, or if lots of people started pestering
him he might change his mind, but I thought it was a nice gesture, and one
good turn deserves another, so I got a copy of this. Even got a copy with
the bonus disc in it. The packaging is great, a hard bound book with the
discs inserted in sleeves like pages, and lots of very well done 'I made it
on a computer' art. As others here have said it is fairly fast power metal
with a bit of space, a bit of symphonic, and a bit of progressive. I haven't
followed this particular scene for a while, so I can't compare it to
anything that's out there now, but I'm thinking back to stuff like
Queensryche, Fate's Warning, Iron Maiden, and Yngwie Malmsteen, though I
don't think this is anywhere close to the level of the best stuff any of
those bands put out. Have to say I'm with Chuck on this one, it has
excellent production, but its a bit one-dimensional, with a generic 80's
metal feel to it, and ends up being not especially memorable. Everything is
played at the same level, no subtlety or variation. OK, metal isn't supposed
to be subtle you say, maybe I'm just getting too old for it. Anyway after
research on the internet it seems that AAL had his dream, and persevered
despite label indifference, and ended up independently creating
well-received records and influencing others to create music like his, so
more power to him, that's what music needs even if I personally don't care
for the particular outcome. I'm not going to seek out more of his stuff, or
even really recommend Star One, but I certainly wish him all the best and
hope he continues to be successful.

Stephan

P.S. All the songs are based on sci-fi movies or TV shows that are easily
identifiable, but I'm not certain about the first one, though I'd say its
95% likely to be Doctor Who. Anyone else think so?