OFF: CLUB SANDWICH REVIEWS

Mon Jun 17 15:08:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:24:29AM +0100, Amphetamine Embalmer typed out:
> hi all,
> a set of reviews published elsewhere still on topic
> here on BOC-L.
> enjoy-
> -Chr.
>
> Fu Manchu - Eatin' Dust
> (EP compilation, including a worthy version of Blue
> Öyster Cult's "Godzilla", most of this is probably Fu
> Manchu's better slabs of heavy stoner boogie
> rock'n'roll outings, with tracks like "Module
> Overload" and "Eatin' Dust" bringing to mind the punk
> energy of bands like The Fluid or the metallic riffing
> and heavy groove of doom bands like Cathedral... on
> Man's Ruin, 1998, its even better than any of their
> real albums!)

        Now, I don't agree with you there. It's good, but there are to my
way of thinking only two standout tracks on there, which are the BOC
cover (`Godzilla') and `Mongoose', everything else sounds like generic Fu
Manchu. Generic Fu Manchu is pretty good, but the only way to score their
albums is by the ones where they aren't just doing the usual stuff, of
which thw two you mention struck me as prime examples. So I'd say _The
Action is Go_ just to name one is better. Which is probably just as well
given how unobtainable _Eatin' Dust_ is now Man's Ruin are no more...

<snip>

> F/i - Five Crowns Of The Saxon King/From Poppy With
> Love 7"
>  (A mindaltering and brutal avalanche of industrial
> punkrock, this 1995 RRR release sounds like a sinister
> and souped up "Interstellar Overdrive" or "Set The
> Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" as jammed out in a
> basement by a bunch of speedfreaks, building violently
> beyond Hawkwind speed and dangerously beyond the laws
> of boogie, so wear a crash helmet if you are high!
> Lots of crazy 'tronics, loadsa deafening guitar fuzz
> feedback, a rumbling punk bass, the B-side track also
> with distorted and spooky gothic vocals.)

        Mr. Pearson stuck the B-side on his last Trade Tape, and it does
kick rase. In fact it matches the description you give of the A-side here
perfectly, while not in fact containing any vocals... Still don't know how
they got it on a 7" though so maybe there are different versions.

        My two thoughts on it, anyhow. Yours,
                                              Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk