OFF: CLUB SANDWICH REVIEWS

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jun 17 15:30:13 EDT 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:08:59 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:24:29AM +0100, Amphetamine Embalmer typed out:
>> F/i - Five Crowns Of The Saxon King/From Poppy With
>> Love 7"
>>  (A mindaltering and brutal avalanche of industrial
>> punkrock, this 1995 RRR release sounds like a sinister
>> and souped up "Interstellar Overdrive" or "Set The
>> Controls For The Heart Of The Sun" as jammed out in a
>> basement by a bunch of speedfreaks, building violently
>> beyond Hawkwind speed and dangerously beyond the laws
>> of boogie, so wear a crash helmet if you are high!
>> Lots of crazy 'tronics, loadsa deafening guitar fuzz
>> feedback, a rumbling punk bass, the B-side track also
>> with distorted and spooky gothic vocals.)
>
>        Mr. Pearson stuck the B-side on his last Trade Tape, and it does
>kick rase. In fact it matches the description you give of the A-side here
>perfectly, while not in fact containing any vocals... Still don't know how
>they got it on a 7" though so maybe there are different versions.

You are correct that there are different versions of "From Poppy With
Love".  The one on the tape I sent mr. Jarrett is from the 'Paradise Out
Here' LP, and is longer than the single version (which is still pretty long
for a track on a 7" single).  And yes, "Five Crowns" is the track with the
spooky/goth vocals, and "Poppy" is an instrumental.

Those who saw Primordial Undermind in Chicago or Cleveland in '99 would
have heard our version of "Poppy" ... Eric's (Arn, mr. P.U.) clever way of
circumventing the rule that every band I'm in has to cover a Hawkwind song,
since the F/i tune was close enough.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com