Deep Purple in concert

Steven Skane sskane at BIGPOND.NET.AU
Tue Jun 18 10:57:25 EDT 2002

The Morse Purple were on our local geeeetar tv show a few weeks back. Morse
was excellent and having a good time. I still prefer Blackmore because he
has that classic Purple sound.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick English" <nick at THECOMPLETESHEET.COM>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:59 PM
Subject: OFF: Deep Purple in concert

> Saw Deep Purple -- with Scorpions and Dio -- in Pittsburgh on Saturday
night.  Awesome show, with the exception of Scorpions. . . but that's just
my taste.

> Actually, compared with DP, Dio wasn't that hot either, but he put on a
capable show.  Did NOT play "Rainbow in the Dark", interestingly enough.
Did play both "Silver Mountain" and "Long Live Rock and Roll" from his
Rainbow days, plus "Heaven and Hell" from Sabbath.  Three new cuts from the
new album:  "Killing the Dragon", "Scream" and "Rock and Roll" -- which he
said was a reaction to September 11th and the ensuing attempts to censor
music.

> Scorpions were probably good if you like them.  I personally don't.  I had
two or three of their albums in the early '80s, but got over them quickly.
A lot of "guitarist jumps up on drum riser and places guitar between legs"
schtick.  Lots of lighters in the air during "Wind of Change", etc.

> Deep Purple really kicked ass.  Ian Gillan was pretty energetic and, as
always, funny.  When introducing "KNocking at Your Back Door", he informed
us he couldn't tell us what the song was about, because it's very naughty. .
. but he added that it's something that "sometimes makes your eyes water."

> They played nothing from Abandon and only "Ted the Mechanic" from
Purpendicular.  Everything else was pre-Steve Morse, except for a new song
they're working on for their next album.  It's an instrumental called "The
Well-Dressed Guitar", and it was REALLY good, from what I heard.

> John Lord broke into the "Star Wars" theme during his solo, which was
kinda bizarre, but a lot of people were jazzed.