BOC: Martin Antoine Del Rio and his Song

Warrick Bell wjbell at MAIL2.GIS.NET
Wed Jun 19 22:52:55 EDT 2002

Reading up on John Dee recently I noticed the name Del Rio quite close by
it in an encyclopaedia of such things.  Naturally I read the entry and
though the lyrics to Del Rio's Song don't seem to have much to do with him
I'm wondering if there's not some kind of connection there nonetheless.
"Del Rio (1551-1608) was a famous Jesuit scholar and author of the
encyclopedia Disinquisitionum Magicarum, in many ways the most complete of
all the works on witchcraft...." (Robbins, The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
and Demonology, 1951)

The Disinquisitionum seems to be divided into six main parts, one of which
concerns prophecy and divination, which would certainly go well with the
whole Imaginos story.

Or is 'Del Rio' just a name that someone pulled out of a hat?

Warrick Bell
<wjbell at mail2.gis.net>

"Census Makes Gains in Reducing Number of People Not Counted"
                                --New York Times, 14 February 2001