HW: actually, really RE: Off: Tull!!! but explicit HW at the end

Wed Jun 26 08:54:14 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 08:08:01PM -0400, Doug Pearson typed out:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:23:57 -0400, Stephan Forstner
> <stemfors at PIPELINE.COM> wrote:
> > ... The real reason I mention this is something Ian writes in the
> >liner notes - there are apparently some plans for Tull to release old
> >soundboard recordings on CD through their official website - stuff that
> >they consider to be not realistically releaseable in todays musical
> >climate but that would be better quality than the bootlegs and that
> >would make fans happy, even if it would not make economic sense to do
> >an actual official release. Hawkwind should seriously consider something
> >similar.
>
> Sounds like the "Collectors Series" (especially the bit about "old
> soundboard recordings ... not realistically releaseable in todays musical
> climate" - that would describe the 76/79/82 sets to a "T") to me!  *I*
> certainly would like to see more of these (the new 1990 one is a great
> start, especially since 89/90 is my favorite era for "live" Hawkwind
> between '78 and '95).  Especially welcome (to me) would be a full-length
> recording from the 1984 Earth Ritual tour, especially if they could fit in
> the guest appearences from Lemmy, Moorcock & Dave Anderson.  Although after
> all of the "golden-eared" whiners complaining about 'Glastonbury 90' (an
> excellent album that continues to grow on me with successive listens ...

        Well. Thing is, that those Collector Series sets were marketed on
the high street, whether "realistically releasable" or not, they were in
HMV. So there's the usual argument about someone who goes and looks for
Hawkwind, buys _Yuri Gagarin_ or _Glastonbury 1990_ and never looks at it
again. They weren't marked as being sub-standard or anything, whereas it
seems clear Tull know the difference.

        I don't blame HW for it so much as I blame Voiceprint. The stuff
that HW has sold privately (like _Hawkwind 1997_) has been much better
quality. On the other hand Dave gave them the tapes and presumably
sanctioned the distribution. There is a difference here between fan
product and high-street product.

> if
> you want "perfection", go listen to Steely Dan or something!  Or one of
> those "live" albums where all the guitar parts were re-recorded by a
> session player in the studio.  Jeez!)

        Weren't a fair few bits of _Space Ritual_ re-recorded in the
studio? :-) Yours,
                   Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk