HW: Damned by the curse of Damned

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Mar 13 17:10:04 EST 2002

Hey!  I'll joyfully ensure that this deceased equine is thoroughly
beaten ...

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:42:50 +0000, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 06:06:36AM +0000, Nick Medford typed out:
>> In message <20020120011659.A7825 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
>> Jonathan Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> writes
>> >
>> >Link the following to Hawkwind (playing either the shortest- or
>> >lengthiest-link version, the link must have some creative input so
>> >producers count but support acts don't, cover versions isn't good
>> >enough, all other niggles to be settled arbitrarily by me as much
>> >as anyone... )
>
>        And Nick manages to do almost all of them without using any of the
>connections I was thinking of, well almost :-)
>
>> >4. Genesis
>>
>> Hmmm... Brian Eno involvement on both Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down
>> on Broadway" and Calvert's "Lucky Lief and the Longships"

Actually, I've read that Brian Eno's only involvement with 'The Lamb...' is
that Peter Gabriel borrowed his synth for some processing; no actual Eno
contribution whatsoever.

>        That short-circuits what I was after, that both Collins and Paul
>Rudolph are on Eno albums (are they both on _Taking Tiger Mountain by
>Strategy?_

'Tiger Mountain' is the only one of Eno's four "rock" albums that Paul
Rudolph isn't on.  There are some tracks on 'Another Green World' & 'Before
and After Science' that use Rudolph & Collins together as the rhythm
section, however (see my earlier post at: http://listserv.spc.edu/cgi-
bin/wa?A2=ind9912A&L=BOC-L&P=R4078 for a complete list of the Rudolph/Eno
links in which I wrote: "Interesting selection of bands - King Crimson,
Chris Spedding/Sharks, Ian Dury, Velvet Underground, Brand X, Can, Free,
Fairport Convention (and Henry Cow?).").

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:24:20 +0000, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:21:17PM -0000, Si Halley typed out:
>> There`s also ways between Sabbath and HW via the Ant-bee album again of
>> course!
>
>        I can't see that one; no-one in that line-up you posted seems to
>to have Sabbath in their pedigree, though Neal Smith allows a far more
>direct one to Blue Oyster Cult than I knew about as he drummed with them
>for a while, and the presence of Mothers of Invention on it opens up a
>whole new sea of links :-)

Another Zappa link would be that Jimmy Carl Black (of the Mothers of
Invention) recorded an album ('Brown and Black' - how's that for
originality?) with Arthur Brown in the 80's, when both were living in Texas.

>> Oh, and Jack Endino produced Therapy? `Seamless` and Helios Creed`s `The
>> Last Laugh` so that`s shorter.
>
>        Doesn't that give us one to Metallica also?

Not sure about Metallica, but 90% of the grunge bands that had late-
80s/early-90s releases on Sub Pop ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com