HW: Lucky Leif revisited (plus trivia Q)

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Thu Mar 14 15:59:02 EST 2002

>... on "Ship of Fools", "Brave New World", "Storm Chant of the
>Skraelings", and "Ragna Rock", the Rudolph/Eno/Nichols (etc. but
>those seem to be the three main players) band isn't faking anything.

My own personal up-there-with-the-best-Calvert Lucky Leif EP matches 3/4 of
this - but I'd replace 'Brave New World' with 'Voyaging to Vinland'. Those
are my favorite tracks, and not coincidentally those 4 are the tracks that
have the most 'serious' take on the album's ostensible concept, so I guess
the linkage may be more thematic than musical - but they are also the 4
tracks that do not have a 'lighter' sound to them, so it could be my usual
aversion to poppish music. Plus I love 'folk-dirge-drone'. (Last years
seemingly out-of-the-blue archival release and reissues of Parsson
Sound/[International] Harvester were a goldmine).

>"Brave New World" just might be the best *pop* song to come out of
>anyone in the Hawkwind camp, catchier even than Bob's best songs on
>'Hype'.

Despite my pop-ophobia, I agree about this, I think the keys (piano? string
organ?) help 'make' this track. And for some reason I also like 'Magical
Potion' a lot - I nominate those two tracks as a great double-A-side single.

Stephan

P.S. 'Cricket Star' is fake reggae, mon!