OFF: (more likely) Pharaoh Overlord, Mike Gunn

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 14 20:35:15 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:38:28 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>And a quick note that I just saw a CD copy of Mike Gunn's Durban Poison
>(with more stuff from another old LP of theirs) up on ebay.com.  This is
>the band that spawned psych-droners Charalambides and heavy-psychsters
>Linus Pauling Quartet ...

I gotta give the 'Durban Poison' CD (which includes their entire debut
album, 'Hemp For Victory') a big thumbs-up.  Definite Black Sabbath,
Hawkwind and Gerry Anderson (do I have that name right?  the puppets guy -
Fireball XL5 etc. etc.) inspirations abound.

> ... and now is related to Hawkwind (in perhaps more ways than
>one?) since one guy from Mike Gunn now plays in Primordial Undermind
>(Austin TX version),

Tom Carter, who's also in Charalambides.

>a band that just recently featured (in the San
>Francisco version) one Doug Pearson, responsible to some unknown extent for
>(recording, mastering, releasing?) California Brainstorm (which is also up
>on ebay in several places)

Nope, no responsibility whatsoever on my part.  I did nothing except
applaud at the show (I've heard myself on a few audience tapes of Bay Area
shows, but that CD is straight from the board).  Frank "Phil Dirt" Luft
deserves 100% of the credit for that one.  I just happened to be the second-
biggest Hawkwind fan at KFJC ...

And the closest way to link Primordial Undermind to Hawkwind is NOT through
me:
Nick "Bevis Frond" Saloman played guest lead guitar on Primordial
Undermind's first recording.
Bevis Frond's bass player is Adrian Shaw.

>and for certain bits of insight about great
>albums that you have to 60% ignore to enjoy.  :)

erm, yes ... ignoring at least 60% of my so-called "insight" will probably
increase your enjoyment of many things ... ;^)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com