TOTALLY OFF: Who died...

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Thu Mar 21 16:48:52 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:42:15 -0500, Brian Halligan <blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM> wrote:
> ... It works for the Beastie Boys as well.

Especially ironic in their case, since they started out by releasing juvenile prank phone calls ("Cookie Puss") and party anthems ("Fight For Your Right...") before becoming the Dalai Lama's hepcat spokesdudes.

>Hey, now here's an idea. How about our favorite bands work to improve
>mankind? Imagine the record sales!

Well, Hawkwind (hey! how'd we get back on topic?) have been putting the address for Tibetan Freedom organizations on their albums for about as long as the Beastie Boys ...

>Eric Bloom becomes a lobbyist for the raising of speed limits and
>legalization of weed. (Ultimately getting arrested as "that weirdo loitering
>around Jimmy Carter's house.")

"Dear Mister Carter, me an' my friends, we wanna get HIGH!  And we don't wanna have to go to jail for it ...".  Well, at least one of his goals has been accomplished ...

... and K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>I thought A Beautiful Mind
>(one of about three movies I saw this past year) was worth the two hours
>spent in the theatre and don't care whether John Nash really picked up young
>men in the park as long as he wasn't hearing *their* confessions the next
>afternoon.

Yeah, imagine that!  A "based on a true story" movie that takes major historical license with its material.  We've never seen THAT happen before!  Of course, the fact is that most scientific/mathematical geniuses are at best socially clueless & inept, and more often thorough raging assholes (and that amphetamine abuse among mathematicians seems to be nearly as prevalent as among bikers, bar owners, mechanics, truckers, and metal/punk rock musicians).  (And as for the "picking up young men" thing, don't forget that the mathematician who won World War II for the Allies by breaking the Nazi's Enigma code, and laid the theoretical groundwork for modern computer algorithms as we know them, was also gay.)

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com