TOTALLY OFF: Who died...

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Mar 22 09:41:13 EST 2002

From: M Holmes <fofp>
Subject: Re: TOTALLY OFF: Who died...
To: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>

Brian Halligan writes:

> Hey, now here's an idea. How about our favorite bands work to improve
> mankind? Imagine the record sales!
>
> Hawkwind and Uncle Sam team up to send humans to the Red Planet.

As a matter of fact I had been wondering about the details of sponsoring
the latest "Looking For Life" project to Mars.

This is the "Beagle" project (www.beagle2.com) being organised by a
slightly eccentric British academic.  He's raising funds through village
fairs and sponsorship.

What's interesting is that the landing method will be by inflatable
balloons which will cushion the crash landing and then deflate (used by
NASA on the Mars Pathfinder mission). The team are selling logo space on
these balloons.

Now that they know where the water is on Mars, there's a reasonable
chance that they will find some ecvidence of life, and perhaps life.
Whatever happens, once Mars is colonised, we can be reasonably sure the
various bits of Beagle will be collected up and put into a museum on
Mars for posterity.

This is the point that got me to thinking that what should definitely be
on it is a Hawkwind logo with "Looking For Life" on it.

So how would folks feel, if we approached the team as fellow eccentrics
and asked how much it would cost to get a logo on the balloons, and, if
it were reasonable, trying to raise the cash. maybe the band could be
persuaded to distribute Beagle info at gigs. It is after all a pretty
good cause...

FoFP