video tech stuff

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Mar 22 09:46:40 EST 2002

I was planning to get the space ritual clips from "When Rock Ruled the
World" into a computer file for later messing about in a video editor
programme.

I know next to nothing about all this and would appreciate a quick
primer from those (Paul?) who know this stuff.

So what's the best way to get from a VHS recording of a PAL programme
into a computer file for later editing and matching to music?

I know there's stuff like MPEG, BMP and AVI files, so what are these? There
was also some computer video format before DVD. The Hawkwind Black Sword
video was put out on this on a CD. What was that?

The recording proggie also has stuff about frame rates etc. What's the
best choices for these? Is TV 24 frames per second or something?

Any help appreciated. What I'd hope to do is to use the Silver Machine
and Brainstorm from the Brian Matthews disc and link the music to the
ToTP video clips and also Top ten Rock and WRRtW.

Ta in advance

FoFP